Navigation
Home Page

ARCHIVE 2013 - JULY 2016

Monday 18 July 2016

We held a tea party in the Rainbow Room this afternoon to celebrate all our achievements this year! Our special guests, Mr Davidson and Mr Horan, Chair of Governors, joined us for some yummy cake! We explained to Mr Horan how the council is run and told him all about our special events this year. This included our Anti-Bullying Week competition, the sponsored skip and raising money for the British Heart Foundation.

 

The sponsored skip raised £853.10 which will be used to help buy a new stage. We ran the bric-a-brac stall at the Summer Fayre and raised £20.00 for the British Heart Foundation.

 

Both Mr Davidson and Mr Horan thanked us for everything we have done. We all agreed that we've had a very successful year, which we have thoroughly enjoyed!

 

The elections for our new School Councillors will take place in September.

 

Monday 13 June 2016

At our meeting today we talked about the Summer Fayre. The School Council will be in charge of the bric-a-brac stall and half the money we raise will go to school - the rest will be given to our charity this year, the British Heart Foundation. Annie and Baiden have made a PowerPoint which they want to show the school in assembly, in which they ask for donations of unwanted toys for our stall. Olly, Jack, Mia and Sienna will write a letter for parents. We will also get together next week to make some posters for the stall. Some of the councillors also offered to help at the stall as long as they have parent permission.

 

We also thought it would be a good idea to write a letter to Mr Armstrong on behalf of all the children at Belmont to thank him and the Woodland Trust and Parish Council volunteers for all the work they have done in the Wildlife Area for us. Akvile and Max volunteered to write the letter before our next meeting.

 

We will also remind everyone to send in any sponsorship money as soon as they can.

 

Let's Skip To Keep Fit - Latest News

Thank you so much to everyone who was able to return a sponsorship form or made a donation for 'Let's skip to keep fit'. There was lots of fun and laughter and everyone had a great time!

 

The sponsor forms were returned to everyone today. We would appreciate if all monies pledged could be sent into school as soon as possible.

 

Our next fund-raising event will be at the Summer Fayre on 1 July. More news coming soon!

 

Monday 9 May 2016

We announced our fund raising event in assembly today - 'Let's skip to keep fit!'. The sponsored skip will take place on Friday 20 May and the sponsorship forms have been handed out so that they can be returned by 18 May. We are hoping everyone will join in, but if they don't want to skip then they can wear non-uniform for the day for a donation. We hope we can raise enough money for a new school stage. The posters we have made are now on display around the school.

 

 

Friday 29 April 2016

We have all been working hard this week preparing for our sponsored event in May. With the kind help of Mrs Welch we have written the letter that will be sent home and have made some great posters to put round the school. We are planning to announce the event in assembly next week.

 

Monday 18 April 2016

Mrs Welch from the PTFA joined us at our meeting to talk about raising money for the school. Last year we and the PTFA, organised a fun run which raised over £1700! We decided that this year we will organise a sponsored skip, 'Let's skip to keep fit'. Baiden suggested that if the skip takes place outside, two classes could do it together - Y6 with Reception, Y5 with Y1 and Y4 with Y2. Children from Y3 could be split into the 3 groups. We all suggested that KS1 could skip for 10 minutes and KS2 for 20 minutes. Mrs Welch will arrange a date with Mr Davidson and we will begin the preparations next Monday.

 

For our fund raising for the British Heart Foundation, Mrs Welch said that the School Council could run a stall at the Summer Fayre. We can ask for donations of toys as we discussed previously, which we can sell on the bric-a-brac stall. We suggested that half of the money we raise can go to the charity and the other half to the school for the new stage. There isn't a date for the Fayre yet, but Mrs Welch will let us know when it is to take place.

 

Daniel and Akvile told us that they have written a letter to Mr Davidson about the Time Capsule ideas but have not yet received a reply. Finally, Mrs Shales told us that there is a new notice board near the KS1 entrance which can be used by everyone for competition posters or news about what is happening around school.

 

Tuesday 8 March 2016

We all discussed again our plan for raising money for the British Heart Foundation and decided we should ask everyone to bring in a toy they no longer need that we can donate to the charity. Annie and Baiden have made a start on designing a poster and everyone agreed to help make more. Baiden said that the PTFA are not holding an Easter Fayre this year so they will talk to Mr Davidson about the best time to ask for the donation and then set a date. Baiden also suggested that the we produce our own newsletter or powerpoint each term, made by pupils rather than the adults in school. He will check this with Mr Davidson and tell us more at our next meeting.

 

Monday 1 February 2016

At our meeting today we came up with some suggestions for the Time Capsule: a school jumper, school council badge, photos of the school and children, examples of school work, a record of pupils memories of school and photos of the technology we use in school such as the smartboard and ipads. Akvile and Daniel will write to Mr Davidson with our suggestions.

 

We are very keen to raise money for our charity, the Heart Foundation, this year so we talked about some ideas. These included having an Easter egg competition and selling cakes or healthy smoothies. Baiden suggested that we could ask everyone to bring in a toy or book they no longer need which we could sell in school and then donate the money to the charity. He is going to check with Mrs Welch to see whether the PTFA are holding an Easter Fayre this year before we decide on anything.

 

Wednesday 16 December 2015

Annie and Connor P led the assembly today when they announced the winners of our recent anti-bullying competition with the aid of their super PowerPoint presentation.

 

The winners were Justas from Y2 and Demi from Y6 who were both awarded certificates and a prize. Everyone else who had entered were also given certificates that had been designed by Daniel and Mia.

 

You can hear Demi reading her fabulous poem on Belmont FM and see some of the entries below.

 
Tuesday 15 December 2015

We met today to talk about our anti-bullying competition - to decide on the winners and the prizes they will receive. Daniel and Mia have designed some certificates and Annie and Connor P have made a PowerPoint to show the school. We will be announcing the winners in assembly tomorrow.

 

We also talked about the conduct of School Councillors. We agreed that it is important that we act as role models for others and try our very best to make the right choices with our behaviour. We decided on a motto:

 

"We promise to try our best and take the right path with our choices."

 

We would all like to say thank you to Connor P for all the help he has given us.

 

Monday 16 November 2015

Some of the School Council joined Miss Gibson in assembly today to remind everyone about our Anti-bullying competition. We have displayed posters around the school and are designing some certificates for the winners. The closing date of the competition is on Wednesday.

 

Tuesday 3 November 2015

Annie led her first School Council meeting today We made lots of decisions!

 

1. We will be designing some posters to advertise the School Council.
2. We decided we would like to raise money for a charity this year. We voted for the Heart Foundation.
3. We will be running another Anti-bullying competition. This time we're asking everyone to write a poem or song. Entries will need to be in by Wednesday 18 November and the two winners will be announced on 20 November. Connor P in Y6 will be helping us with this.
4. In future Daniel and Mia from Y5 will be keeping the School Council blog up to date.

 

Baiden wanted to remind everyone that if they are having problems in school they should speak to a teacher or a member of the School Council

 

If you have any ideas for how we can raise money this year please let us know!

 

Wednesday 21 October 2015

Mr Davidson chaired our first meeting of the year and we began by deciding on our School Council Vision. There were lots of ideas as we wanted to include inspiring and encouraging others but we finally came up with a paragraph with which we all agreed. Next, we all voted for the Chair and Vice-Chair for this year - Annie and Baiden. Olly and Akvile will be the Secretaries who will make sure they keep notes about what we talk about in our meetings. Annie and Baiden already have lots of ideas for improving our school and making a difference to the world - for example having an Anti-bullying competition, promoting good behaviour at playtimes and raising money for a favoured charity. The Council will talk about these ideas at the next meeting after half term.

 

Monday 5 October 2015
Mr Davidson was pleased to announce the names of our new School Councillors in assembly. Elected by their peers, they will soon be holding their first meeting to elect a Chair and Vice-Chair who will lead the Council this year. If you have any ideas for how to improve our school just speak to your representative.

 

Monday 20 July 2015

Mrs Welch has told us that we raised £1776.88 from the fun run we helped organise! This is more than last year's and means we now have more books for the library. Thank you to everyone who sent in money for this.

The School Council has had a brilliant year! We have designed a leaflet about attendance which has been sent out to everybody, organised the anti-bullying competition and the fun run. The elections for the next School Councillors will take place in September.

 

Wednesday 20 May 2015

On behalf of the school council, I would like to say a big thankyou to the PTFA for organising the sponsored fun run which took place today. Everyone seemed to have a great time and did their very best. Thank you to all who helped out.

Brandon.

 

Monday 27 April 2015

At today's meeting Mrs Shales reported that the date of the run had to be changed to Wednesday 20 May because Inspire+ are in school the next day so we won't be able to use the field. There were lots of offers to design and write the sponsor money letter, certificate and posters that will be needed. Everyone will meet up again tomorrow to get started. We plan for the letter to go out on Friday 1 May.

 

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Today Josephine, Brandon, Adam and Mishal met with Mrs Welch from the PTFA and Mrs Shales to discuss the fun walk/run. It was suggested that it will take place on Thursday 21 April and be called "Get Fit, Feel Fab, Look Funky!" Like last year KS1 will go round the field for 20 minutes and KS2 for 30. We will ask everyone if they want to take part, but they should only ask family and friends to sponsor them. Mr Davidson has agreed the event can take place, but we will let him know the planned date. There will also be a full council meeting on Monday to discuss what happens next.

 

Monday 16 March 2015

It was fantastic that the whole school joined in with the Red Nose Day challenge of make your face funny for money on Friday! We raised a fabulous £174.84. Thank you to everyone who made a donation.


Monday 9 March 2015

Brandon, Keal, Adam and Rhianna reported that our attendance leaflet has been printed and was handed out to every family at the Parent's Evenings. Copies are also being kept in the office.

 

For Red Nose Day, children will be able to wear something red for a donation to the charity. As it was unclear whether we could also wear non-uniform, Josephine said she would ask Mr Davidson after the meeting and then inform the classes of his decision.

 

Mishal told us that she has written to Mr Davidson about the 40th anniversary celebration to tell him of our ideas.

 

Mrs Shales said that the PTFA are planning another fun run/walk for next term and would like the school council to help again. We don't have any further information about this yet.

 

Monday 9 February 2015

The House Captains joined us at our meeting. We saw the attendance leaflet that has now been completed and all agreed it was great! We will take it to Mr Davidson this week. We thanked Brandon, Keal, Rhianna and Brandon for all their hard work.

 

We talked about Red Nose Day again and came up with some more ideas, including having a donation box in school along with a display showing what happens to the money we donate. Tiago said the House Captains would like to do something on the day too, so he and the other House Captains will come up with some plans which they will take to Mr Davidson. Josephine has already spoken to Mr Davidson about what school council can do but will arrange to speak to him again. Hopefully, together, we will have a great day!

 

Mrs Shales told us that it is the school's 40th birthday in September! We discussed how we could celebrate it. Rhianna suggested that we do a celebration performance - singing and dancing, and it was also suggested that we do a play about Belmont through the years. We thought it would be good to invite ex pupils back as well as ex headteachers. For this reason we thought any celebration should go on after school as well so that they could come. Another suggestion was a disco, a bring your own picnic on the field and school council tours of the school. Mishal will let Mr Davidson know our ideas.

 

Monday 19 January 2015

On Monday 19th January, School Council were shown the attendance leaflet that is being designed by Brandon, Rihanna , Keal and Adam. We talked to other each other about it and discussed how to improve it. Later on we talked about Red Nose Day. We thought about some games and activities for you. If you have any amazing ideas, which we am sure you will have, please tell us.

 

Friday 28 November 2014

It was very hard to decide upon the winners of our recent poster competition about friendship and bullying. So hard we decided to award two extra prizes! We announced the winners in Achievers Assembly and you can see their posters in the Gallery.

 

We hope soon to have the posters displayed around school. Thank you to everyone who took part.

 

We're also pleased to say that our Young Bronze Ambassadors used some of our questions when speaking to Sarah Outen on Wednesday. You can see a video on BelmontFM.

 

Thursday 13 November 2014

At today's meeting we discussed ideas for our new attendance leaflet. Brandon, Adam, Keal and Rhianna offered to work together to come up with a design.

We decided that we would like to run a competition for anti-bullying week. We will organise a poster competition where KS1 can design posters about friendships and KS2 design ones about anti-bullying. We would like to give 2 prizes in KS1 and 2 in KS2 and Josephine will speak to Mr Davidson about this. Josephine asked that we make some posters over the weekend and she, Brandon and Adam will announce the competition in assembly on Monday.

Mrs Shales passed on a message from Miss Burton about Sarah Outen, who is travelling around the world. School will be having an online chat with her in a couple of weeks and Miss Burton wanted us to come up with some questions. We had lots of ideas and Mrs Shales will pass them on to Miss Burton.

 

Monday 13 October 2014

The School Council met for the first time today to decide who would be Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary for this year. We had a secret ballot and the votes were counted by Mrs Shales. The results were:

Chair - Josephine
Vice-Chair - Brandon
Secretaries - Mishal and Foster

 

We then talked about the School Council Vision. We decided that we liked it as it sums up what we want to do this year. We all voted in agreement that we would keep this promise to help everyone in school.


Mrs Shales then passed on a message from Mr Davidson. He has asked us to think about how we can encourage everyone to come to school and suggested that the School Council design a leaflet. We would like to do this and we will think of some ideas over half term which we can talk about at the next meeting.

 

Monday 6 October 2014

Mr Davidson was very pleased to announce the names of our new School Councillors in assembly today. This year the council will be working alongside the House Representatives from Y6. The first meeting will take place on Monday 13 October where they will elect Chair, Vice-Chair and Secretary for this year.

 

Wednesday 23 July 2014

We are very pleased to say that our sponsored walk/run earlier in the term raised over £1600 for the school library! We were amazed by the generosity of the families and friends who supported this event. Thank you so much!

Thank you to all our school councillors for arranging this and for all their work for the school this year.

Mrs Shales

 

Friday 23 May 2014

Ben has written to Miss Gibson about our suggestions for improving playtimes. Alfie and Ethan have written to Miss Burton about the netball posts.

Thank you to everyone who took part in our sponsored run/walk today and to all those who gave a donation for coming in non-uniform. We will let you know how much was raised as soon as we can! You can see photos in the Gallery.

 

Monday 5 May 2014

School Council, along with the PTFA, have organised a sponsored 'Be Bright, Be Bold, Be Brave' fun run/walk for Friday 23 May to raise money for the school library. Key Stage One will walk for 20 minutes around the field, Key Stage Two for 30 minutes. Sponsorship forms created by School Council and Mrs Welch should be returned by Friday 16 May. Children who do not wish to take part but would like to support us can wear non-uniform for a small donation.

 

Friday 25 April 2014

At today's meeting we talked about behaviour of the School Councillors. As we give out certificates every week to pupils who follow the Golden Rules, we agreed that it is important that School Councillors give a good example. We decided that if a School Councillor is put on Red Behaviour more than once, then teachers will have to decide whether they should continue to be on the Council. We hope this will never happen!

School Council will be arranging a sponsored fun walk/run with the PTFA in May to raise money for the school library. We decided that Bryony, Harry, Nyla and Aidan would take part in a fundraising committee. They will talk to Mrs Welch, the Chair of the PTFA as soon as possible to discuss ideas.

Miss Gibson has asked us to find out how we think we can improve play and lunch times. We will be asking our classes for their ideas, such as what types of games can we play. When we have gathered all the information Ben will write to Miss Gibson. Keva suggested that when everything is sorted that someone could write a handbook for play/lunchtimes.

A lot of us like to play netball and basketball but we think that the posts we have on the KS2 playground are too high, too old and wobble. Alfie and Ethan will write to Miss Burton to see if she can buy us some new posts.

 

Wednesday 12 February 2014

There was a meeting today between Miss Gibson, Mrs Nix, Ben, Aidan, Keva, Bryony and Connor about lunchtimes. We all agreed that there are problems at the moment - Year 5 and 6 are late getting hot food and it is too noisy in the hall. We decided that things need to change, so from tomorrow, children having hot food will line up as soon as they are in the hall rather than waiting. Hopefully, everyone will be able to be served earlier and there will be time for everyone to have a short play afterwards. Miss Gibson will speak to all the children in KS2 about the noise level.

 

Friday 7 February 2014

At today's meeting Ben and the rest of the Council welcomed Harry who is the new Councillor for Y4. Ben then went on to say that he, Bryony and Connor had met with Miss Gibson and Mrs Nix. Lunchtime seating arrangements have been changed so that we now sit on class tables, including those who have hot lunches. They are meeting up again next week to see how things are going.

We then spent some time discussing play times and decided we will continue to monitor them.

 

Friday 13 December 2013

At today's meeting Aidan, Bryony and Connor explained that they had written to Miss Gibson about the lunchtime seating arrangements. Miss Gibson has written back inviting us to a meeting on Wednesday 18 December at 1:20 pm. At the meeting we will be able to talk with Miss Gibson and Mrs Nix and let them know the results of our survey.


We have also received a letter from Mrs Stivens, on behalf of the PTFA, thanking us for our ideas for raising money for the school library. She asked if we could organise a sponsored run. We liked this idea and spent some time talking about it. Bryony and Lakhisha suggested that we wait until the warmer weather so we can use the field. We will talk about this again at our next meeting in January.

 

Monday 25 November 2013

We began the meeting by discussing the results of our survey about the end of year treat for everyone who has been on green/blue behaviour. Keva and Bryony announced that the most popular ideas were to have an all day Golden Time or a party. They will write to Miss Gibson to let her know.

Alfie then spoke about the new lunchtime arrangements where we all sit in our House groups to have lunch. Aidan and Connor are in the process of completing a survey to find out everyone's views. They have two more classes to ask but so far it appears that most people would like things to be changed.

The Council then went on to discuss playtimes. There are some problems at times as people do not play fairly. Alfie also pointed out that we are all responsible for our own behaviour so it does not seem fair if a whole class is told off rather than just the person responsible. Ben decided that as the meeting had over-run today, we will carry on talking about this at our next meeting.

 

Friday 11 October 2013

Ben welcomed everyone to the meeting and introduced Erica, our mascot. We began by talking about the reward for being on green/blue behaviour all year. We all thought that a reward is a good idea and so came up with some suggestions including an all day Golden Time; a special assembly with certificates and wristbands; a disco with party bags and some kind of school trip. We thought it would be good to ask the rest of the children in school what they think so Bryony offered to design a survey sheet. She and Keva will make sure a survey is completed as soon as possible.

Afterwards we discussed the problems that have been happening with football in KS2. There have been lots of complaints but Ben said he has spoken to Kyle in Y6 who has given him lots of good ideas, including having 2 referees and proper rules. Ben, Nyla and Alfie offered to speak to Mrs Nix and Mrs Bell about how things can be improved.

Bryony has made a new suggestion box which will be placed in the hall next to the Golden Ticket box.

 

Tuesday 24 September 2013

Miss Gibson welcomed all the new Councillors to the first meeting of the school year. She read out the School Council Vision statement and everyone agreed it should be kept. We voted for the new Chair, Vice-chair and Secretary for this year. The results were:

  • Chair: Ben
  • Vice-chair: Aidan
  • Secretary: Bryony
We decided we want to continue to give School Council Awards every Friday to children who follow the Golden Rules. We all agreed that we will be fair when we make our choice each week - we will not just pick our friends or brothers and sisters.

Miss Gibson asked us whether we can discuss the reward that is given to us if we remain on green or blue behaviour all year. For the last two years, there has been a disco. Miss Gibson would like to know what we and the rest of the school would like to do which will be fair to everyone. We decided that we would think about this and discuss it more at our next meeting.

 


Top